Candoro Marble Building
The Candoro Marble Building was built in 1923 to serve as the Candoro Marble Company showroom and offices. The building was designed in the Beaux Arts style by Charles Barber, with stonework by Alberto Milani of Carrara and ironwork by Samuel Yellin of Philadelphia. Founded in 1878, the Candoro Marble Company was the nation’s largest producer of Tennessee pink marble. The Company provided marble for the Smithsonian’s Museum of History and Technology and National Gallery of Art among other renowned buildings.
The Candoro Marble Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. After being threatened with redevelopment in 2002, the building was saved by a group of preservationists. In 2014, the Aslan Foundation purchased the property in order to invest in the restoration of this significant piece of Knoxville’s architectural history. Its marble carvings, intricate ironwork, frescoes, and grounds will start to undergo restoration work in 2019.
The Candoro Marble Building is programmed by the Candoro Arts & Heritage Center.